In fall 2015, the Virginia Department of Education in partnership with Virginia ABC and MADD disseminated the Underage Drinking Prevention educational brochure to parents of seniors. For more information, see Resources for Parents.
Working Together to Prevent Underage Drinking
In the Spring of 2015, VAHPERD received funding from the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health Services, through the VCU Center for School Community Collaboration, to coordinate a short term media education campaign to prevent underage drinking, which is a significant public health concern. VAHPERD’s campaign is being managed by Collective Health Impact, LLC in collaboration with the Virginia Department of Education.
The campaign’s core strategies have been to provide:
- radio PSAs, billboards, bus boards, and educational materials to:
- encourage parental involvement in alcohol conversations with their teens,
- provide education on the law, and
- discourage social hosting of underage alcohol use by parents, teens, college students, and other community adults;
- a social media campaign, Choose Your Vibe VA, to celebrate alcohol-free lifestyles of Millennials;
- instructional resources for use by Virginia’s health and physical education teachers.